Thursday, May 23, 2013

Now is the Month of Maying

Now is the month of maying
When merry lads are playing
Fa la la la la la la la la, Fa la la la la la la

I still remember every one of Shakespeare's words that we sang to a peppy little tune in my high school choir.  The month of May usually proves to be the month that is most jammed packed with fun activities and tends to whiz by at warp speed.  2013 has already proven to be right up there with the best of them.  To start off the month right, we hosted a GIANT yard sale in our giant backyard.  Twelve families of our dear friends donated their unwanted things and we rallied to put on the best two day sale we could.  In the end, we made over $1500 to help our friends Alex and Janna Lion adopt a brother or sister for their sweet boy, Sam.  It was a lot of work and we were so tired when it was over but I am still riding the absolute high from the experience.  And when the Lion family brings that sweet new baby home with them, I will be blessed by the honor it was to be a part of their story.

A few days later, I set out for a four day trip to Nashville, TN to celebrate my brother, Tim, as he became the newest Dr. Davis when he graduated with his Doctor of Audiology degree from Vanderbilt University.  I made the trip solo and Dave stayed home with Jack.  You can imagine how much my heart ached for my little guy the whole time.  The airplane ride home was torturously long!  Dave, aka "super Daddy" did an outstanding job and Jack hardly knew I was gone.  I was really hoping that Dave would at least have a few struggles so I could get a "Wow, your job is hard and you are a great mom" pat on the back when I got home (after all, it was actually Mother's Day) but instead, Dave said, "Wow, your job is so easy and fun".  To be fair, I pre-planned and cooked all of their meals, planned morning and afternoon activities, and he didn't have to do all of that while also cleaning the house, shopping for groceries, etc., BUT, he is right.  My job is way too much fun!

Dr. and Mrs. Tim and Heather Davis



Mom and Dad made the trip out from WA to celebrate Tim's hard work



So proud of my little brother!!!





We recently took a family outing to the Greenspot Farm located right here in Redlands.  This place is a permanent petting zoo open to the public.  It was so fun to just let Jack run around and see all the animals.  No surprise here, he made a bee line for this old tractor and had so much fun "driving" it.  Seeing him up on that tractor made me get choked up as I think of my Grandpa and all of my memories of him sitting on his tractor, pulling all of the cousins on sleds up and down his long snowy driveway.  He would have loved to meet all of his great grandchildren and would have enjoyed these pictures so much.



Check out Jack's messy curly top
I had the same curls when I was a little one
I know his first haircut is just around the corner but for now I'm savoring this adorable mop



True story: this llama was in a pen with goats
Naturally, Jack thought that the goats were the kids and this llama was... the MAMA.
We would say, check out this llama
Jack would say, MAMA goat!


Jack saying, "Hey goats"



I mean, seriously, how good looking is my husband
Maybe it's because I'm currently feeling like a giant pregnant blob, but I also know I lucked out in marrying such a good lookin' dude!



This is a sweet season of adding second babies to many of our close families.  In fact, two of my friends are expecting babies with due dates one and two days before mine.  Our lives with little ones are about to get much, MUCH more hectic.  One of these gals, Chelsea, is leaving our small acre of the wood as her husband starts his pediatric residency in Portland, OR this summer.  Chelsea and I are in a small group of women who get together once a week at each other's homes to share a pancake breakfast.  She's actually the one that got our group started, based on the fact that all of our kids were born in a 4 month window in 2011.  What she didn't know was how close we would become or how much we would rely on each other as women and as moms.  She let us know that this last week would be her final pancake morning so in about 24 hours we threw together a surprise baby shower.  We have LOTS of little boys running around so the idea of celebrating the impending arrival of her sweet little girl gave us all something to be excited about.




Surprise




All of us together
Janna, Me, Chelsea, Aimee, Leslie (seated), Shirley, and Grace





After I got back from Nashville, Dave started a two week string of working the night shift in the ER.  He heads into work at 6:45 pm, works all night, comes home at 7:30 in the morning, says a quick hello, and then sleeps until 3 in the afternoon.  We get to spend a few hours with him and then he does it all over again.  I am just praising God that he chose a specialty that doesn't require a single night shift EVER, not even during residency.  

One of our favorite afternoon activities to do with Daddy is playing in the dirt


Is there anything better?






No comments: