This past Tuesday, both Dave and I went back to school. The second year of medical school is significantly harder than the first and it is amazing to watch Dave tackle this year head on. He has been incredibly proactive about the work load and I know will be just as successful as last year. Loma Linda has decided to get rid of over 100 hours of 2nd year lectures and turn to a more group based / problem based learning style. Dave's class is the first guinea pig and we are all anxious to see how this will affect the class' step one board scores at the end of the year.
Dave has decided to serve as a tutor for first years in his "free time" which he hopes will benefit the first year class while helping him to review first year material at the same time.
My year started out very well. On Tuesday, we only have freshmen and new upper classmen for a half day of orientation. I technically only taught three days this week and somehow was still exhausted by the end. My classes are filled with GREAT kids this year and I find myself being excited for each class to walk through the door.
Last year was such a dark spot on my teaching career and it is nice to know that it was a passing moment and not a permanent situation. The kids who auditioned and made my upper level choirs are starting the year excited and are willing to work hard. I have 43 freshmen in my beginners choir who have great spirit and also a good measure of self-control (hooray!). They are very timid and reluctant to sing out, which drives me nuts, but is my job to remedy. :) And my journalism class is inquisitive and ready to work.
By Friday, however, I felt as though I'd been hit by a truck. I came home and immediately crashed onto the couch. Saturday morning brought some excellent relief when I met up with a group of fellow teachers to go to a spa in celebration of Kristen's birthday. I'd never been to a spa like this one and thoroughly enjoyed being pampered for a day. By the end, I was totally relaxed, had baby soft skin, and as Dave put it, "Whoa, you smell like something."
Ahead this week: more school for Dave. I have an audition with the Inland Master Chorale on Monday evening. (SUPER scared!!!) Next weekend, I'm having a Chamber Singers Retreat and will have the help of Dave all day. Read: super husband.
No comments:
Post a Comment