Sunday, June 24, 2012

Happy 30th Birthday, Dave!

Dave turned the big 3-0 this year on June 13th.
I knew it would be one of the last truly FREE times we'd have for the next 6-ish months so I tried to go all out (on an extremely tight budget :)

I knew that if I was actually going to surprise him, it would have to be something before his actual birthday.  We've gotten in the habit of riding our bikes into Redlands every Saturday morning for a cup of coffee and a quick shopping trip through our Farmer's Market so with the help of our friend, Meg,  I had arranged to have a bunch of our friends meet us there for a surprise birthday brunch.  

Dave was completely out of character that morning and was extra grumpy.  He was taking forever to get going and my anxiety over being late built with every passing minute.  At one point on the bike ride, I said, "You know, if you're going this slow for my sake, don't worry about it.  I'd love to ride faster!"  Dave's response, "I don't even want to be here right now.  I don't even feel like riding right now."  

Inwardly, I had to smile because I nearly wrecked Dave's marriage proposal many moons ago with a similar bad attitude.  :)

The scene downtown.
Augie's coffee shop in the background is Dave's favorite!



Birthday boy enjoys his surprise!



For his actual birthday, I made him huckleberry coffee cake for breakfast and worked hard during Jack's naps to make this German Chocolate Cake from scratch.  It was delicious but a little much for just Dave and I to eat. :)





30!



Just for fun:
Here's one of my two favorite boys hanging out on the couch.  I'm so grateful that David has gotten so much free time and has chosen to spend it with Jack and I.  We are so lucky to have such an amazing husband/Daddy!


What do surgeon / super duper frugal types do when they have a little free time?
Why, build a battery powered cell phone charger of course.
Can you see my eyes rolling?
They are so far up in my head, they might get stuck!
Dave used all manner of household goods to build this little charge box.  Now we'll see if it actually works.





Dr. Panther just got his new long coat.  Pretty good lookin' if you ask me.



No comments: