Dear Jack,
Emotions run high today as I recall hour by hour your first day of life one year ago today. I look back on your birth as my most proud moment. It was such hard work but totally worth it because it gave me you. I don't think you'll be able to realize how much you changed my life until you have a baby of your own someday.
This year has been the single most challenging and joyful year of my life. From all those middle of the night rendezvous we shared to the joys of teething. From watching you take your first steps to the joys of solid foods, we have loved "growing up" with you.
It was easy to imagine what it would be like to have a newborn (although nothing could have prepared us for what it is ACTUALLY like), but I had no idea what fun could be had as you grew into a one year old. You are incredibly affectionate and funny. One of our favorite games is called, "tackle Mama and lay on her face". The object of the game is clear but a victory is only achieved by balancing your entire body weight right on my face and bonus points are scored if you cut off my air supply. We both laugh and laugh and play it again and again. One of my first memories is wrestling with my Mom, your Grammy, and I wonder when you'll start remembering these fun times too.
This month you headed to the church nursery for the first time. You literally pushed off of me, scrambling to get to these new found toys. You didn't even know I was gone and loved every minute of it. I can't begin to tell you how grateful I am for the people who are watching you and giving me the opportunity to sit in the service and actually pay attention to the sermon. You and I are both big fans!
This month has been a hard one for Daddy. He has worked 70-80 hours a week and has done such a tremendous job. The only downside is that we hardly see him and when we do, you've struggled to connect very much just because we aren't used to having him around. We can't wait for this rotation to be over so we can get back to normal. Remember the photo of our internal medicine rotation paper chain? Check it out now! The end is in sight.
This year has been so amazing that it blows my mind to think of all the fun that is to be had in every year to follow. I am so glad that I get to be your Mama!
Love you always,
Mama
JACK'S FIRST BIRTHDAY IN PICTURES
Is it time to take pictures?
Special birthday breakfast picnic while watching the Olympics
Look up my nose
What? It's MY birthday?
Ooooo
After breakfast and pictures, we went to the grocery store to gather things for his birthday party.
Then...
Jack said, "Happy birthday to myself" by taking a 2 1/2 hour nap.
Bam!
After nap and lunch, DADDY got off work early.
Yip yip cha!
We made our way down to Riverside to go to a birthday party for our friend Hudson.
Hudson is the son of friends from church and was born two days after Jack.
We had so much fun in the pool...
... and don't look now
Mountaineering is in this boy's DNA
Oh. Dear.
The birthday boy, Hudson
With his big brother, Caden
And his awesome parents Brad and Melissa
Car ride home from the party
When we got home, it was time to open his awesome package from Uncle Sandy, Aunt Nicole, and cousins Addi and Josie
Awesome ball
Talking card from Grammy and Grandad
BEST toy on earth...a spoon he found in the diaper bag
Coolest helicopter toy
How does this thing work?
We had Olive Garden take out complete with a little chocolate cake.
The day ended with lots of play and a wrestling match.
Yep, the perfect day.
No comments:
Post a Comment