Saturday, January 11, 2014

Life with a two year old

Life with a two year old is no joke.
We thought we knew what the term "terrible two" meant but our recent trip to WA for Christmas brought us to a whole new understanding of what a tantrum can actually mean.  Jack is now directing his wild tantrums AT us which is a new level of exhausting.  We spend our days in endless discipline sessions and most of the time have no idea if we are doing the right thing.  If we don't check ourselves, we end up longing for the future rather than enjoying the stage we are in right now.



BUT

There are such sweet and funny moments during this time.  Dave and I got sharing "Jack" stories from this weekend and laughing so hard I thought I'd throw these memories on the blog so we can remember them.

Tonight, Jack had a terrible night terror.  I went in his room only to find him absolutely drenched in sweat.  We had to change his soaked jammies and bedding and ended up spending an hour playing in his room before going back through our bedtime routine.  As we were winding down and getting ready to try bedtime again, I asked Dave to check Jack's diaper.  Dave said to Jack, "Hey, do you have anything in your diaper?"  Without hesitation, Jack responded with, "I have a washing machine in my diaper."  Oh, we just lost it.  Of course, the joke kept going and going.  Now Jack says, "Do I have stinky socks in my diaper?  Do I have laundry soap in my diaper?"  Good times.

My story to share happened the other day when we were at Costco.  Jack is obsessed with finding a forklift to watch and this week we hit the jackpot and ended up watching one at work for a long while. When we returned home, Jack refused to eat his PB and J sandwich for lunch.  I said, "Hmm...could we get a forklift to move this pallet?"  He then proceeded to make his hand into a forklift and lifted his sandwich up into the air.  I told him that his mouth was the shelf and, sure enough, he went right to work on eating that sandwich.  One point, mama!  A few minutes later, we called my mom and the conversation went like this:
Jack:  Hi Grammy
Grammy:  Hi Jack, what are you doing?
Jack: Eating lunch
Grammy:  What are you eating?
Jack: (mouth full) Milk and pallets





Here's to cherishing these memories more than the difficult ones.

No comments: