Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Blood Moon, April 2014

Dave says: this marks my first blog, ever.  Moving on, it was "Blood Moon" tonight, aka total lunar eclipse.  Now the moon can say it has trended on twitter #bloodmoon.  Today was a good day for major internet milestones.  Basically, I wanted to show some fun pictures I got through the Nikon D7000, F 1.4 50mm lens.  

First: the unaided camera.  OK, that was boring, way worse than just watching it with one's own eyes.


Now, the good stuff... Partial eclipse as seen through a pair of binoculars! 


 I will say that I have done easier things than taking 1-second long exposures through a camera joined to a pair of binoculars by my hands and stabilized on a tripod + lawn chair combo.
Like surgery, for instance.




Did you see that? Is there another celestial body passing between the moon and the earth???


Oh, oh my... what is NASA's number? They will want to know about this!


Why is it always in the dead-center of my image? Maybe a UFO that knows I am watching it, always repositioning itself to be in my view?


It sure looks an awful lot like the moon...


WHERE DID IT GO???  Oh well, won't be famous after all.  Let's just look at blood moon, here it is!


OK now that is definitely a duplicate image of the moon.... OH!!! The binoculars only cover part of the lens, so the moon is still shining around the binoculars and into my lens.  Glad I figured that out at the very end of the sequence.


No comments: