You hear stories all the time of how life can change in the blink of an eye. Living between two hospitals we have helicopters flying about our house all day and night. I often look up and think about those fighting for their lives in that very moment.
This morning, we were given a reminder of both how fragile are our lives and also how gracious God is to sustain our every moment.
It was a big day in the Panther household. I was set to help lead worship, teach the 2-3 year old Sunday School class, and run a practice for our upcoming Reformation Night performance after church. I went to church early to practice music and Dave was all set to bring the boys a little bit later for Sunday School. Just minutes before I was set to start, one of our deacons came to tell me that everyone was ok but there had been an accident.
Even though I heard the words, “everyone is ok”, I still had a hard time breathing. My whole world inches away from a very different outcome. Praise God I was at church when I got the news because there were instantly many prayers offered up on our behalf.
There was a semi truck in the right lane coming on a giant swooping on ramp from the 10 West onto the 215 South. It was signaling left from the time it entered the ramp and driving about 45 miles and hour. Dave was coming up in the left lane and just assumed that the truck didn't realize his blinker was on so he decided to pass. The truck chose that moment to get over into the left lane. Dave slammed on his breaks but was sandwiched between the truck and the guard rail. No one was injured in the slightest, praise God! Both sides of the car, door handles, mirrors, are pretty messed up but the car still runs just fine. Neither door opens really well and the front tires literally have flat spots where the rubber burned off when he slammed the breaks. We don't have collision insurance so we are very hopeful that the truck's insurance will cover it.
When I got the news, the panic and tears were instantaneous. But as I drove up to the accident site, the Lord ministered to my heart and filled me with praise for His graciousness to our family in sparing each person from even a scratch. I was also filled with the conviction that today is the Lord's Day regardless of our circumstances. I thought, "Wow, wouldn't the enemy just love to have the victory here and keep us from worshiping God? Brad, our worship leader and I had been locked out of the building and had to wait for keys, we accidentally set off the alarm trying to get in, we didn't have the right mics, we didn't have time to practice all the songs, my carefully planned Sunday School lesson was completely thwarted. The list goes on.
In that moment I began to pray that the Lord would still be pleased to use me in worship and that he would orchestrate every single piece that would need to happen, but especially that he would grant me a clear mind and heart. I picked up my sweet boys at the accident site while Dave continued to deal with the truck driver and state patrol. When I arrived back at church, there were several people waiting at the door to greet me with hugs. They swooped up Jack and Cade and watched over them so I could practice with Brad during the coffee time. Brad and I were far from polished but we were able to make it through each song at least once. And then, it was time for worship. God showered his mercies on me in that moment in such an incredible way. I was able to be completely focused on the words and music. Singing "Whate'er My God Ordains Is Right" has never been so true. And it is...His providence is always right. It's easy to say that when things work out as they did today, but I pray that He will help me be able to say that in the times when it doesn't.
We were so blessed by our church family, our home away from home, all these years in California. They have been the single greatest blessing of our time living here and the thing we will ache most to leave when residency is done. To be so surrounded and cared for in our time of need was priceless!
As we wade through the muck of dealing with the aftermath, we don't want to loose sight of this day and God's incredible mercy to us! He is so good and worthy of our praise!
1 comment:
Wow. With tears running down my face, I rejoice with you. God is good and greatly to be praised. I am very thankful for your family's miraculous protection as well as your church family's presence & intercession. Thank you for writing this to remind us all that each day is a gift from God.
Post a Comment