As the Wonderland swiftly approaches, Dave and I are feeling the need to hit the trails, partly for training and partly to make sure our gear is perfect. On Memorial Day we headed up San Bernardino Peak in the San Gorgonio Mountains. The hike starts at 6,000 feet, and is a quick and steady climb from there. We made it up 4,000 feet to just above 10,000 feet. I'm pretty sure this is the first time I've hiked at that elevation and it showed. I was sucking air even standing still. :) We loaded out packs with Dave's textbooks and gallons of water in order to simulate the weight we'll have on the Wonderland.
We were surprised:
a) that I was in good enough shape to handle this hike easily
b) to find beauty in southern california! (minus the intense smog we were looking down on)
c) at how bad our gear situation seems to be
Dave was so supportive and impressed with my fitness level which made me feel like a million bucks, but my gear didn't help much. I had the wrong sock situation which is never a good thing. By the end I was toting some significant blisters...must work on this one.
Also, I have a strange problem with the right side of my collar bone. It protrudes out when pack weight is pushing on it and develops a large sore bump that feels solid, like bone. I've had this problem for a long time, and am not quite sure how to remedy it before our 10 day adventure.
Overall, we had a great time and look forward to another training hike next weekend!
1 comment:
I think I missed what you're training for...
I'm finally going to climb a 14-er this summer, in addition to backpacking for 3 days (not long) with my cousin. Should be fun times! I'm excited for your hiking adventures and hope the collarbone holds up!
Post a Comment