Saturday, December 5, 2009

Halloween/Thanksgiving

Thanks to my brother, Tim, for calling me out on the fact that I haven't blogged since the end of September. Uff da! Last summer, I sat on my camera and broke it. Because I don't carry Dave's camera around in my purse, I feel like I miss all of the blogable moments in life.

Of course, this is entirely untrue as evidenced by the wealth of pictures posted below. Ok, Tim, I'm over it and hopefully this blog will catapult me into more regular posting. So much has happened since September so I'd better get started.

My birthday trip to Disneyland was a lot of fun. Dave took the entire day off from studying which was the best gift a girl could ask for. In October, I sang with the Inland Master Chorale in my first choir concert since college. I thought it would be overwhelming since I had a full weekend of performances immediately followed by my own kid's concert the very next Monday. What I failed to remember is that I LOVE performing and choir in general. The weekend was actually invigorating. Plus, I get to wear the most hideous choir mu-mu which makes me smile. The only downer of that weekend was the fact that this choir extravaganza took place the week before Dave's exams which means he was unable to come to see my conduct. What makes it worse is that he will also miss my Christmas Concert, the school play I'm directing, and my final concert in June.

Luckily, my fill in husbands (read: wonderful girlfriends) made the drive all the way out to Ontario to support me. I couldn't ask for better friends.

The last week of October was the 100th birthday of Loma Linda University. Dave's parents made the drive down "for the celebration" aka to see us. We had a lovely time with them and were able to spend the night at Aunt Pam's house in Del Mar. Good family, good fellowship. At one point in the weekend, Katie decided she was too lonely up in WA and made the bold choice to book a ticket and a few hours later, we were picking her up at the airport in San Diego. So fun. We immediately dressed her up and headed off to a Halloween party with friends.

Dave, uh, I mean, the kitchen pirate with Chris and Brent.
(Chris drew this mustache on with permanent marker, forgetting that he had to give his first vaginal exam the next morning...classic!)



Danny and Meg dressed as Christmas
(Danny, I don't think we'll ever let you live this down)


Five minutes before the party, we invented these costumes. I was obviously a panther tamer, Katie was lady luck, and Dave was the kitchen pirate



The best part of this fall has been a new bible study with fellow medical school wives. We have five first-years, four second-years, one third-year and two mentors. I have loved getting to know these women and have felt incredibly supported by them. One of the gals, Beth, is from Idaho and lives in the same apartment complex as Dave and I. I have loved the convenience of having a friend nearby and can't wait to watch our friendship grow over the years.



For Danny's birthday, we had a bowling tournament complete with a coveted trophy. I bowled the best game of my life: 120. :)





Danny, Brent, and Dave

We were encouraged to dress up in someway that would honor Danny. Because he is an identical twin, Dave and I made efforts to look a like.

Fellow Second Years

I am still very busy at school with performances and the like. This picture was taken at the homecoming football game.



Last year was Dave and my first Thanksgiving together and first time attempting a turkey dinner. I say attempt because we had our share of trials including the flooding of our kitchen and the fact that we had to defrost the turkey in our bathtub.

This year was beautifully uneventful. We had such a relaxing day and enjoyed cooking the meal together again. We had the best turkey we've ever tasted and finished our meal off with a famous Panther huckleberry pie (thanks to Dave). Mostly, we loved five interrupted days of together time. When it comes down to it, we just like each other very much and staying home was a great choice.

Dave, manly turkey carver


Ta-da! So much food for two people

The aftermath

Right before Thanksgiving break, I developed the worst chest cough of my life. It was terrible to not be able to breathe without heaving into a coughing fit. Eventually when the cold medicine failed me, I convinced Dave that I should have a humidifier. I got the best looking one around and haven't parted with my frog since. I haul it to school everyday (kids love it) and back home to be by my side while I sleep. This thing is a life saver!


Froggy, my froggy

These next few weeks are comically busy for Dave and I. Here is the rundown:
Monday - retirement home performance 6:30 and chorale rehearsal 7:00
Tuesday through Thursday - auditions for the school play. This means 13 hour work days.
Friday - dress rehearsal for chorale concert - 7:00-10:30pm
Saturday - Chorale Concert (I have my first solo...ever)
Sunday - Chorale Concert
Monday - My kids have their big Christmas Concert

Dave is in the thick of it preparing for exams the week of the 14th. We've basically kissed each other goodbye and promised to meet up again at Christmas time. Both of us are very much looking forward to spending Christmas with the Panther family in the Tri-Cities. Hopefully the next two weeks will fly by and we'll be there before we know it.

1 comment:

A Klein said...

Now that is what a call a BLOG POST! Whew! I look forward to many more over this LONG Christmas break, Cami! Loves - Allison