Sunday, May 16, 2010

Winding Down and Gearing Up

Here we are in the middle of May. Dave and my school years are winding down and yet we are both gearing up for big happenings between now and the middle of June.

After JSB, I thought I would have a little time to breath, but then quickly realized that my choir schedule is pedal to the metal all the way up until graduation. Last weekend, I took my top two choirs to a choir festival at Knotts Berry Farm. The kids sang really well, we enjoyed a drama free day of riding roller coasters, both choirs placed first in their categories, and my women's choir came away with the overall top choir award. Not a bad day!

This weekend, I have choir concerts with the Inland Master Chorale. We are celebrating our 30th anniversary with pieces like Eric Whitacre's Cloudburst, a Bach motet, Gershwin medley, and my favorite, a hoe down piece called Cindy in which yours truly gets to be one of eight dancers. I'm having a blast and am trying to keep that in the front of my mind rather than the fact that Dave won't be seeing this concert at all. Luckily, I will have someone in the audience for each performance that is there just for me which helps.

I have a few more performances with my Chambers, choir auditions for next year, our final concert at school which is a joint concert with our junior high choirs, and of course the graduation choir. No rest for the wicked!

Dave is completely consumed these days with preparing for two full weeks of final exams (starts tomorrow) and for the step 1 of the national board exam (June 11). He is being so diligent to study all hours of the day and even manages to squeeze in a little time with his wife too. Yesterday morning, we went for a long bike ride together. I don't know how he does it. Dave is feeling a lot of pressure over board exams because his score helps to determine which places are an option for residency. His desire to be in the Northwest hasn't changed and he would need an astronomical score to make that work. Pray for him that he can keep perspective and have the endurance to finish this race.


No comments: