Tuesday, June 22, 2010

The End

As they say, "all good things must come to an end". Dave and I are thrilled to have survived our respective challenges this year. Dave conquered two years of medical school classroom learning by applying all of his knowledge to ONE exam, his step 1 board exam. He diligently studied non-stop for months and when it was over, was able to truly let it go. I finished another challenging year of teaching and am settling in to a much deserved break from the kids.
While this year was more positive than last year, it still finished with really tough discipline situations which were completely disheartening. Many complain that teachers get entire summers off, but I assure you, this is true so that we won't murder your children. Don't get me wrong, I love teaching because I love kids, but at the same time, I have been pushed to my limit so many times this year that without a break from them, I could not appreciate them as people. At our very last Chamber Singer performance, i.e. graduation, I had six of them just not show up. Are you kidding me!?! These kids clearly know my standard and expectations and still made the choice to ditch. More than anything, it is hurtful.

Next year's choir will know from day one that if they choose to ditch out on our last performance, they will not be passing the class...end of story. At the end of the day, we still have a long way to go in building a choir program at OC. I am looking forward to next year even though I know there are many challenges awaiting me.


A mini version of my Chamber Singers


2010 Chamber Singer Seniors



Our last day of class together. We have completed 28 performances this year and have worked hard together. These are truly 18 of the best kids around!




Friday, June 11th - a day that will live in infamy
Dave putting in the last moments of study before taking the board exam


The Panther encroaches on his prey - look out!

Boards = EEEEEK!


No comments: