Saturday, August 14, 2010

New Digs


Since Dave jumped right back into third year, I had time on my hands to do school projects of my own this summer. I was three credits shy of the next pay scale jump and there is a convenient program at University of San Diego that fulfills those credits by spending 75 hours during the summer working on school related stuff.

I chose to update our ridiculous filing system. These boxes are stacked two deep and general two high.


Now they are in easy to get to files! So great!



As we make plans for the future, one of the things that is important to us is to save as much money as possible during this next school year. We were able to secure one of the campus owned houses at a huge price reduction from what we are paying now. So with the help of our amazing friends, we packed up a truck and moved a few blocks away.



We aren't sure when this house was built, but it is certainly old. At first we weren't sure about the tiny rooms, but now we absolutely love it. The house feels cozy and we love having a big yard with old trees. DISCLAIMER: My mother needs a detailed view of the house so what is about to follow may be a bit overkill for most.

The house is one block from the hospital

We planted flowers to make it feel a bit more home-y



This is the side of the house where we usually park our cars.

Aw...big back yard. On the far left is what appears to be a pomegranate bush of sorts. In the back right corner, Dave built me a compost pile.



dig out a little garden and planted a few tomato and zucchini plants. And of course, the trooper of a raspberry bush we've hauled all over creation.

This is Dave building a redwood picnic table. More pictures to follow.


View to the left from the front door

View straight ahead from the front door


Dining room - sort of


This house has adorable built in shelves. I was able to set out the tea cup collection I started in junior high. Fun stuff!


Kitchen


Washer and Dryer purchased for $75 each and a portable dishwasher...who knew!


The piece d'resistance: firepit



Summer evenings at their best

Dave has finished his psychiatry rotation and is now tackling his second week of neurology. He really enjoys being a pretend doctor and this neuro is great. He even got singled out by an attending who thought he was pretty special. Woot!

Dave's next rotation will be starting the same day I start school and will be surgery. From what we've heard, it will be the most brutal of the year. We are all bracing ourselves for a busy fall.

I have a few weeks of freedom left and aren't quite sure if I'll invest in being lazy or try to get something accomplished...maybe another sewing project? We'll see.

No comments: