Dear Jack,
This morning I wanted to take a moment to write you a note on this, the one month anniversary of your birth. You are just across the wall from me, making your usual string of grunting noises that tell me that you are trying to fall asleep. I used to pick you up every time I heard these noises, thinking you were fussing, but now I know better. You'll work it out on your own and be just fine.
In the last few days, you have really started smiling so much more. Daddy got his first real smiles this weekend (which made his day!). You are starting to settle into a bit more of a predictable pattern. You wake up around 7:30 and are ready to play. This is your happiest time of the day. Around 9:30-10:00 you are ready for a serious nap. I am usually able to put you down in your crib and get stuff done around the house. You wake up every 2-3 hours to eat and then go right back to sleep. You have a second awake time in the early evenings until about 9:30 pm. When Daddy gets home from work, we eat dinner, go for a walk in the neighborhood, and usually give you a bath. You are VERY fussy at night and seem to have a lot of pain because of gas. We do our best to bounce you and sing to you in hopes that you'll stop crying.
Eventually, you calm down and Mama heads to bed while Daddy takes the first shift of responsibility until 2-3 am when Mama takes over. And then, dear boy, we do it all over again the next day. During your first month, we tried new things nearly everyday and were so excited when we found something that worked. We are finally, thanks be to God, settling into a new normal and we can't wait to watch you grow more and more.
Things you love:
Being outside (that's our boy)
Being sung to
Pooping in a freshly changed diaper
Taking a bath
Things you hate:
Nursing on the left side
Being bored or staying in the same place too long
A gassy tummy
Laying on your back
We love you so much, Jack!
Mama
Why are you gloating?
Seriously...now! It's not funny!
Getting a little chubbier each day
You are the sweetest
You are already taking after your Daddy. Today you wore matching outfits to church.
1 comment:
At our birthing class, the instructor said that babies who were active in the womb tend to be more fussy as newborns, and it's because they want to be moving around - they often end up being very athletic people, which makes sense! Once they hit about 2-3 months old, they can move around more on their own and satisfy the urge to move and be active.
That being said, props to you to sticking with it! I'm so nervous about the first month with our baby girl, I don't know how well I'll do with a complete lack of sleep and caffeine - and you can bet I'll be asking you for advice!!!!
Post a Comment