Saturday, September 8, 2012

Don't cry over spilled coffee

It was so bad, you just have to laugh.

Have you ever had one of those days?  You think to yourself, "Certainly, this string of badness must be coming to a close...right?"  Yesterday was one of those days.  At the end, Dave said, "You know you really should write down everything that happened because you'll laugh about it someday.

It all began with a high speed morning for both Dave and I.  We were trying to get our act together in order to meet our friends Aimee and Asa for a morning run by 7:15 am.  I was frantically throwing breakfast together while tying my running shoes and changing a diaper.  Ok, well, they weren't being completed concurrently per say.  :)

Oh a little preface:

The night before, we had ants swarming through our kitchen cupboards.  Before you northern folk get grossed out and think we are dirty people, let me assure you that having an ant infestation is as normal as hot weather down here.  It. Just. Happens.  Especially in a house built in 1940.  Dave, super duper ant killer man, had emptied all of the contents of our kitchen cabinets onto our kitchen counters.

So back to yesterday.

As Dave was getting ready in the bedroom and I was feeding Jack at the kitchen table, it happened.

His lunch pail fell into a box of crackers, which in true domino style, ran right into his travel mug of coffee which tumbled to the ground and hit exactly at the wrong point and broke, releasing its precious contents all over the floor.  Ugh.  Spilled coffee is a major bummer, especially when you're already running late for work and your name is David Panther.

Later in the day, I made a trip to the grocery store to get some treats for a few care packages I was putting together for former students.  I headed from there to the post office to wrap up and mail said care packages when I realized that I left their addresses at home.  Quick trip home turned into a struggle as Jack kept stealing my tape then the scissors (yikes!) then the paper I was wrapping the box in then the box itself.  Uff da.  By the time I got everything ready to go, Jack was hungry and had a poopy diaper.  I switched the third load of laundry of the day over to the dryer and took care of Jack's needs.

Back in the car again (by the way, it was about 100 degrees) we made another trip to the post office.  Back home again, I started to put together dinner (Spinach Quiche).  Jack was surprisingly content to play by himself so I thought, this is it, my chance to regain the day.  Alas, that onion that I thought should be in the cupboard was left last week at the checkout counter at the grocery store.  Yep, you guessed it.  BACK to the grocery store we went to purchase one single, solitary onion.

By the time we got home, Jack was no longer content to play by himself and cried and threw tantrums on the floor while I chopped that poor onion as fast as I could.  Just before Dave got home (late) for dinner, I pulled that load of laundry out of the dryer. It had a distinctive, unpleasant smell about it and that's when I saw it.  80% of the clothes were covered in what appeared to be RUST.  These weren't just any clothes, but brand NEW clothes purchased last weekend.  (Our first new clothes purchase in over a year because of no income)  Dave walked in the door, took one look at me, and said, "Oh dear, what's wrong?"  After a few hours of thinking, Dave said, "Cami, did you happen to have a multi vitamin in your pocket?"  I still can't believe he figured that out but yes, I did.

After putting Jack down for the night, I went out searching for a rust removal product.
Six stores and over an hour later...bingo.
Dave and I spent the rest of the night washing and scrubbing on each piece.
We both fell asleep on the couch and as we finally dragged ourselves to bed, we realized that our sheets were still in the "rust" pile.  We both laughed and just made do with whatever we could find.

By God's grace, I was able to not breakdown and still maintain a kind tone to Jack and Dave.  It was that kind of day that you won't forget, even if you want to.  :)

No comments: