Saturday, October 4, 2008

Fall??????

What is fall?
Fall is sweaters and hot chocolate
Fall is a cold nose and bright yellow leaves.

Alas, in sunny southern CA, fall means something entirely different....SUMMER. On October 1st it was 102 degrees. I've heard rumors that fall is coming, but when pressed further, the giver of information admitted that fall may not start until Dec. or Jan. Hmmm...

Our "fall" thus far has been a big time of adjustment and a celebration of all things new.

New friends: Last weekend we went up to Pine Springs Ranch up in the mountains and celebrated the end of exams with our new friends. Dave and I had the BEST time. First of all, we were able to get above the smog and saw the night sky full of stars for the first time since moving here. I had forgotten that they even exist. We spent a lot of time worshipping (it was Saturday, of course) and also just hanging out with friends. The game of choice for the weekend was mafia. If you've never played...you need to. Panther and Davis families, watch out....this will most definitely be our Christmas 2008 activity. :)

The ridiculous talent show and highlight of the weekend


Mafia, round one


Mafia, round two

New Cars: Tuesday, September 30 after school, Dave and I went to pick up our new car!!!! Wowza, what a fun toy. The first day driving it to school I was white knuckling the entire way, but since then I have grown to love driving it and feel much safer in it (tight controls) than the Buick (flabby shocks and brakes). Don't get me wrong, the Buick and I have built a significant relationship and I am so grateful that it has gotten me to work everyday. But...the Prius is INSANE! I'll be getting gas mileage in the 50s not to mention all the fun little doo-dads. Love it.


About to drive away from the dealership

P, P, P, Prius!


New success: Transitioning to a new job has not been easy. The kids, especially in my top group, are hurt and bitter over having four different choir directors, one for each of their years of high school. I would feel the same way. Top that off with the fact that I make them work incredibly hard and am force feeding them music theory and teaching them to read music and you have all the ingredients for a bonefide mutiny. We have struggled together but slowly we are gaining each others trust and building something together. Last night we sang the national anthem for our varsity football game. The kids did a great job and I know that each time they have a success and each time the community hears them, we are building confidence...together.


warming up

getting ready

New newspapers: My journalism class put it the first issue newspaper of the year yesterday. Praise the Lord!!!! I wasn't sure it could be done, but we made it through and the kids were very proud. We have only found 10 blaring mistakes thus far and have learned many lessons along the way. Now only eight more to go. :)

Today is my birthday and I imagine Dave and I will be doing a whole lot of nothing (our favorite). The next few weeks should be relatively non-eventful. We will keep you posted if anything interesting happens.

1 comment:

Eric M. Garcia said...

Hey who is the good looking tenor with the Led Zeppelin jacket. I had my SATs the very next day. But I say we did a bang up job for our first go